Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Home Sweet Sour Home a.k.a. Rumah Masak Masam Manis

Four years in the university, the one thing that every student has in common is this: We LOVE to balik kampung!  

I stole it from here.  

Balik kampung here means going back to our hometown, not necessarily a village.  If it were, then I would have to say balik bandar (go back to town).  Anyways... 

Before I entered the university, I never understood why college students could not wait to return home.  I mean, you get to live your life the way you want it without adult supervision, why would you throw that away?

And then I went, I saw, and I finally understood.  

I am not suggesting that being far away from home is bad.  Neither am I suggesting that home is a prison.  I'm just being human (that is to complain because that's what we humans like to do).  After doing a thorough research and conducting experiments to study my theory (erm, erm, do I sound scientific enough?), I have come up with a few pros and cons for staying at home and staying away from home.  

Here's my list: 

Home (H) vs. Away from Home (A)
1.  H: You do not have to worry about money.  When you go grocery-shopping, anything you want, just put it in the cart and it will be paid.  
A: You ALWAYS worry about money. 

2. H: Whenever you feel hungry, just go to the kitchen.  You have no idea but food seems to always miraculously appear on the table.  And not just any food.  Delicious, healthy, and good food.  
A: If you are lazy, you will starve to death. 

3. H: If you sit in front of the computer the whole day, what will happen? Right, you don't know.  Because you do not get to sit in front of the computer the whole day.  What are parents for? 
A: Nobody cares.  Sit/sleep/eat in front of the computer the whole day, it's expected.  Who knows, even if you faint/die in front of the computer, your body will only be discovered when it has started rotting.  

4. H: You cannot watch a 1-hour movie without any interference.  Halfway through the movie... "
Kitty-kitty: Ngiau, ngiau~
Me: *Ignore and continue watching* 
Kitty-kitty: Ngiau, ngiau~ 
Me: *Pretend not to hear* 
Kitty-kitty: Ngiau, ngiau~ 
My cats are all very perseverent.  They never give up.  
Mama: Kitty iau liao lo.  Chi Kitty ciak seng. (Kitty is hungry already.  Go feed him now.)
Me: Tan ca ae. (Just a moment.)
Mama: *Talking to Kitty-kitty* Kitty, ee nang mai sa siao lu liao lo, Kitty... (Kitty, they don't care about you anymore...) 
Me: Tao seng to chi ee ho liao. (I fed him already just now.) 
Mama: Mana ae kao.  Ee kok ai ciak gok. (Clearly it wasn't enough.  He is still hungry.) 
Me: Tan seng... (Wait...) 
Mama: Tapai to si anae: tan seng, tan seng.  (It's always like this: wait, wait..) *blah, blah* 
Me: Tsk, ae cai la.  Ae cai la.  (Tsk, okay.  Okay.) *Feed Kitty and give him a good spanking* 
Point is, there's always something you need to do.  Watching DVDs is a crime.  No, scratch that.  Watching DVDs WITHOUT Mama is a crime.  
A: Like I said in No. 3, nobody cares. 

5. H: You don't have to worry about transport if you want to go shopping.  No, you don't have to carry all the heavy stuff by yourself.  There are family members to help you carry.  
A: You dread going shopping because you have to carry all the heavy stuff home BY YOURSELF.  Unless you have a car (that needs petrol for fuel, which means more $$$).  And FYI, parking space is scarce in Penang.  Expensive too.  Unless you go to Tesco Extra at Sungai Dua, you will need to pay at least RM 1.50 for a parking space.  And don't even try to suggest bicycle to me because this is what happens when I cycle in Penang.  

6. H: You only worry about transport if you want to meet friends for Lim-teh (Also known as going out for drinks/eating - An activity which Malaysians like to do when they meet up with friends to catch up on news).  
A: You don't have to worry about transport for meeting friends because, thank God, the public transport in West Malaysia is generally very good and convenient.  Besides, when you're staying together with your friends, there really is no point in taking a bus/taxi to meet them, right?


Well, that's all I can think of right now.  Nevertheless, I still love my home.  Sure, there will be times when I wish that I will be back in Penang but most of the time, home is where the heart is.  What about you? Any complaints?
 



1NewMessages: I wrote this because new recruits will be entering the university.  Just preparing them mentally and physically for the challenges that await them :)  Good luck~




4 comments:

RazFiRa said...

nice entry..keep on blogging ya!

mcjayn said...

thank you :) such feedback gives me a push to blog whenever i'm lazy.

MISELnamapendek said...

H : ada curfews. Usually 12am.
A : 11pm. Eh, but you can go out and return the next morning. So basically no curfews.

Eh, I'm supposed to be a pro-Home kan. Heh.

The best thing about being away is the achievement you gain being as wasted and abnormal as you could (tido jam 5 pagi, makan kalau ingat, mandi kadang2, tido 3 hari, etc).

That's why home makes us a more useful person.

mcjayn said...

Yes, misel. We break records di luar tapi mak bapak kita tak pernah tau betapa hebatnya anak-anak mereka. What a shame.

I know the mandi kadang-kadang itu... sebab itu underwear aku benci aku.